West Parry Sound Area Recreation and Culture Centre Board
The purpose of the Board is to construct, maintain and operate the West Parry Sound Recreation and Cultural Centre. The Board acts as an agent on behalf of six area municipalities: The Archipelago, Carling, McDougall, McKellar, Parry Sound and Seguin, and two non-voting First Nations: Shawanaga and Wasauksing. The Municipality of Whitestone is a donor to the Centre, and will have a separate agreement with the Board.
The Board was established by agreement executed by the participating municipalities on September 10th, 2021, the culmination of decades of effort and interest in building a pool in the West Parry Sound Area. The $32 million capital project is being funded at 73% through an Investing in Canada Infrastructure (ICIP) grant. The six participating partner municipalities are contributing the remaining 27% based on an allocation formula that recognizes population, number of households, taxable assessment and driving distance. Ongoing operation of the Centre will use the same funding formula.
Amenities to be included in the Centre are:
- Four Lane/25 M pool
- Leisure/Therapeutic Pool with defined play area/amenities and relaxation area
- Sauna - off Pool Deck
- Gymnasium – small size, 3 pickleball courts.
- Walking Track – 2 lane 100m, within Fitness Area
- Common Area with Vending Machines
- Viewing Areas (Pool & Gymnasium)- local viewing from ground floor lobby
- Fitness – 5000 sf Fitness Area, plus 1500 sf Studio
- Multi-purpose (MP) Rooms- 2 Small MP, 1 Medium MP, 1 Large divisible MP Room
Board meetings are open to the public, are live streamed and recorded. Visit the Town of Parry Sound YouTube Channel for livestreams or to see a playlist of all recorded Board meetings on YouTube.
Search the Town of Parry Sound Council & Committee calendar to find out when the next meetings are being held and to view publicly posted agendas and minutes of the Board.